6 steps to achieve work/life balance
Some key ideas that will help you find the balance between performance and pleasure.
There is no doubt that we are living a paradox.
We are more and more focused on our personal development and on being in the present moment, but at the same time we are more against the clock due to the dynamics of the digital era and the continuous interruptions of social networks, emails, apps on our phone....
Year after year I see more people unfocused and with high levels of anxiety claiming "they don't have time". They end their days exhausted and not feeling fulfilled even though they are achieving their goals.
In this article I want to share 6 easy steps to balance between your work and your life, between performance and pleasure.between performance and pleasure. It is easier than you think, but usually we do not do what is good but what is easy. And if you practice focusing on these techniques you will see results in 7 days.
How to achieve work-life balance.
Life favors those who commit, so I encourage you after the article to commit to putting at least one thing into practice. One thing that resonated with you.
According to new studies it takes 300 hours to make it a new habit. And you know what? The difference between mediocre and leaders is that leaders do what is not easy but is right. But they know how to have a balance between what they call work-life balance.
What is work-life balance? I define it as the ability to manage results and pleasure in a smooth and daily way..
Because working and delivering results, achieving your vision or purpose is precious, but you also have the obligation to enjoy yourself. You need to enjoy yourself to feel fulfilled so that you can give your all in all areas of your life.
With freedom and leadership comes acting responsibly. Inspirational leaders have a responsibility to help others in their work life to have balance as well.. And always, always, always remember that life favors the devoted, committed and focused.
As always, I'm going to share with you steps that are easy and fun. Because my mission is to help you. And I can only help you if I help you with things that are easy to implement. Because if you're reading this article you probably need a little push... I'm going to help you not to be busy, but to be productive.
Today we are going to talk about GRP: Managing Results with Pleasure. We need balance in our life, because there are many people who are very inclined to either work or pleasure. And as many times in various areas of life, extremes are not good.
If you have a balance, you're going to be happier and have more energy. Energy is felt. Everyone will feel it and be more attracted to you and that will improve your personal and professional relationships.
A lot of people come to see me to get results in their leadership, in their team or company, but I always encourage them to do a self-analysis and see if we need to heal something in their holistic self, in their well-being.
This is not an easy thing. It's actually more difficult, because it's easy to forget.
You can't do good if you don't feel good.. Some suggestions for self-care:
- Invest every morning 60 minutes for yourself.
- Invest in your personal development.
- Every day is a master class. Write. Learn to look for trends.
- Analyze your emotions to create awareness.
- Read good books.
- Find daily and weekly moments of silence.
- Find time in nature.
- Listen to music.
- Nothing is more important than your health!
2. Enrich human connection
Why do you want to be successful and be alone? Great leaders build relationships. They make connections. When we are face-to-face we create oxytocin; that's why it's harder to build relationships by mail or video conference.
Some suggestions for the next 7 days:
- Schedule family time. Put them on the calendar. The things you put on the calendar are the things you do.
- Your calendar doesn't lie.
- Talk is cheap. Who you are speaks louder than what you say.
- Plan vacations first and then the rest.
- Plan private dates with your kids individually. They'll grow up in a heartbeat!
- Give them love! Sometimes we treat our family worse than strangers.
- Schedule time! Everyone craves appreciation.
- Same at work! Based on Gallup studies, the number one reason people leave a job is lack of appreciation.
3. Be brilliant at planning your life
Nothing will help you like a clear plan! Most people don't have plans. They think it's good to be busy, but most of the time they are focusing on the wrong things.
Remember these 3 words: focus, focus and focus. When you focus your thoughts, actions are focused. It's about being proactive and not reactive.. The plan gives you clarity and success. Live life as if you are an architect of your future and not a prisoner of your past.
It amazes me when people think about a vacation or a road trip, and they don't go out without a super clear plan, but when it comes to their life, many times they don't even have a plan. If you don't make time to plan, you will have time to fail.
Here are a few suggestions.
- Make a timeline.
- Write a philosophy of life statement.
- Articulate the 10 principles of that life philosophy.
- Break down your goals in sequence and what you can do in 3 months.
Take the time to plan your week and review each day to make sure what you do each day make sure that what you do each day is aligned with your philosophy of life..
With better awareness you have better choices, which bring better results.
- You may be interested in, "What is coaching and what is it for?"
4. Practice gratitude and celebrate
Surely you have said "when this or that happens to me I will be happy or I will give myself a prize".
I suggest that in your diary you have a space for gratitude and every day find 3 things you are grateful for. Remember the dopamine that will motivate you, and that motivation will bring you more of the same.
Do it also in difficult times, because what we focus on grows. And if when you have bad times you focus on the bad, you're going to have more of the same.
Every day this week write down at the end of the day 3 things you are grateful for. They don't have to be big things. The simple things in life are the most wonderful things in the end.
Easy. Notebook and pen. Or digital. But writing is more powerful. Easy. But therefore easy to forget. Don't forget. Try it for 7 days and see the magic.
5. Time for fun and adventure
What's the point of realizing your vision if you don't enjoy it? Live life as an adventure!
Some suggestions for this week. I call them micro adventures and they will elevate your energy. Schedule them in your calendar!
- Maybe it's walking a new trail.
- Maybe it's going to a restaurant to try a new food or cook it at home.
- Maybe it's going to your favorite library.
- Maybe it's going to a concert or listening to new music.
- Maybe it's enrolling in a new course.
- Dance as if no one is watching.
The key is to find the middle ground between performance and your pleasure.
6. Focus on the impact and meaning of your actions.
I think that the most important thing is not what we get from life, but what we give.. The difference we have made by our step. Impact the world with your step.
(Updated at Mar 28 / 2023)