5 Tips to boost your metabolic rate and burn calories
Metabolism is an amazing process which is surrounded by myths and misconceptions because it is easy to manipulate people who aren’t experts in medicine. Let’s figure out once and for all, what metabolism really is. It is a natural processes that transforms food we consume into energy that we need to do even the simplest “tasks” such as breathe. Advocates of extremely low-calorie diets say that we need only as many calories as we burn when we are active. But it’s not true. We need energy even when we are sleeping to breathe and let our body repair cell damage.
The amount of calories we need to perform the essential functions is called resting metabolic rate (RMR). On your metabolic rate depends how much weight you gain and the energy you have during the day. If you want to know how to boost this rate to stay slim and full of energy, read further.
1. An extremely low-calorie diet will slow down your metabolism. It is completely wrong to cut the amount of calories you consume a day drastically. Doing so you will not only feel exhausted and hungry all the time but also make your body slow down your metabolism because in the scarcity of food it will try to do make those few calories last longer. The best way to lose weight and keep it down is to lose it gradually through a healthy balanced diet and moderate exercising. Doing so, you can easily achieve a 500-1000 calorie deficit a day without slowing down your metabolism. You need to cut 300-500 calories from your daily intake and add exercising to make the deficit bigger.
2. Stress interferes with the weight loss. Some people lose weight when stressed but others, on the contrary, gain weight even being on a strict diet. The cause is the increased production of the protein that blocks the enzyme required to metabolize fat. The tests show that the level of this protein, betatrophin, is increased in people who are stressed.
3. Periodic fasting can help you lose weight more efficiently. Though it is bad to cut your calorie intake drastically, fasting for a day every week can be a great metabolism booster. It can help you clean out of the toxins accumulated in your body and increase your metabolic rate. By the way, fasting doesn’t mean that you won’t eat anything during that day. You just need to eat in total not more than 500 calories.
4. Metabolism slows down with age but you can prevent it. In order to stop the natural slowing down of the metabolism you need to move a lot. Moderate exercising can help you look and feel good whatever you do. Some doctors and coaches recommend working out every day. Others believe that you need at least one rest day a week. We think that if you manage to stick to a 3-time a week schedule it will be already great! Remember, it is better to exercise a bit than not at all.
5. Make sure to consume enough protein. Protein is a construction material for muscles. And the more muscles you develop, the lower is your body fat. Muscles require more calories to restore meaning that even eating as you eat now you will lose weight if you will exercise regularly and eat sufficient protein during the day. Daily, it is advised to consume 4-6 ounces per serving considering that you have 3-4 meals a day.
(Updated at Oct 3 / 2023)