90 phrases with double meaning (and their possible meanings)
We leave you a witty selection of phrases and thoughts with double (or triple) meaning.
The phrases with double meaning are a peculiar way of the human being to show his irony and his personal humor using his wit..
There are phrases with double meaning of many different topics and these help us to synthesize in a very brief way a lot of thoughts or emotions.
Finding the right words to express what we think at certain times is sometimes not easy, and we are not able to synthesize all the thoughts we have in our heads.
- We recommend: "140 wise phrases to reflect on life".
Phrases and sayings with double meaning (funny, romantic and intelligent).
In the list below you can enjoy the best 90 phrases with double meanings (and even more meanings) that we have been able to select for you. Keep them well because they will surely be very useful in a conversation between friends!
1. If the mountain is coming towards you... Run because it collapses!
Another way of looking at Mohammed's famous phrase.
2. The only thing that is clear is confusion.
When we have nothing clear, the only thing we can be sure of is that we are not sure of anything.
3. The bad thing about being on time is that there is never anyone to appreciate it.
Sometimes being on time means that no one knows that you were the first to arrive, because few people have this quality.
4. If fools flew, we would never see the sun.
Human beings shine more for their ignorance than for their lack of it.
5. Working never killed anyone, but one should not tempt fate.
Excessive work can be harmful to health, no doubt.
6. I don't have insomnia, I have an internet connection.
Our addiction to networks can make us suffer from sleepless nights.
7. There are battles that can only be won by fleeing.
Better an early retreat than an imminent and crushing defeat.
8. God, give me patience. If you give me strength... I will kill him.
Sometimes we do not know what to pray to the Lord for.
9. I'm busy combing my tortoise.
A poetic way of saying that we don't want to do what we are being asked to do.
10. It's good to stop drinking, the bad thing is not remembering where.
A thing that usually happens on nights out, not remembering where you left the glass.
11. In life there are too many masks for so few faces.
People can adopt many faces throughout their lives.
12. Don't be racist and accept my black intentions.
Sometimes they don't want to help us fulfill our wishes.
13. If working always pays off, let the trees work.
Nobody likes to work, unless you're Mick Jagger. .
14. The important thing is not to know, it's to have the phone number of the one who knows.
By having the right connections, others can do everything for you.
15. You're not ugly, but if you were water you wouldn't be drinkable.
A very subtle way of telling someone that they are not pleasing to the eye.
16. There is no surer way to be late than to have too much time.
When we have a lot of time we leave things to the end and that makes us late on many occasions.
17. I am responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.
What someone says and what the other interprets can be very different things. .
18. To grow up is to be sad and not to post it on Facebook.
When we grow up we stop having to feel the approval of others.
19. I'm not sure if I'm indecisive.
Undoubtedly, the author of this sentence was someone who was indecisive.
20. I haven't talked to my wife in years, I don't want to interrupt her.
Our partners can be very eloquent, sometimes too eloquent.
21. Marriage is the main cause of divorce.
You can't get divorced without first getting married, it's something we all have to go through.
22. It makes me very angry when people talk when I interrupt.
There is nothing we like more than to interrupt someone and not let ourselves be interrupted.
23. I don't have a clear conscience, I have a bad memory.
Not remembering what you did wrong makes you have no regrets, if I don't remember it... it didn't happen.
24. Don't take life seriously, because you won't get out of it alive.
Enjoying life is our best option to have a happy existence, let's stop worrying about problems that have no solution.
25. If you don't want sarcastic answers, don't ask silly questions.
Sarcasm is something that many people do not understand, and there are even some who are offended by it.
26. Don't wake me up, I'm working hard.
Sleeping many hours can even become tiring, you have to be very prepared to be able to enjoy marathon days of sleep.
27. Slavery was not abolished, it went to eight hours a day.
Capitalism is a kind of slavery, but at times, in the end we also have to work to eat.
28. Sometimes I want to be normal, but then I go back to being me.
We all have a unique personality that makes us different from the rest.
29. Life is what happens while you are looking for wifi.
In today's world we are nobody without an internet connection, we seem to disappear.
30. Life is what happens while you make other plans.
Making long term plans makes us not enjoy the now, which is the only thing we are assured of.
31. When money goes out the door, love jumps out the window.
In times of prosperity love comes by itself, but it is in crises that it is really put to the test.
32. Between "married" and "tired" there is a letter of difference.
Marriage can be something that takes a lot of effort to keep afloat.
33. Beware of a fallen man, he can get up again.
A person who has suffered defeat can always get up and return to the fight.
34. I never forget a face, but with you I will make an exception.
There are faces to remember and others that it is better to forget.
35. The bigger the racism, the smaller the bogeyman.
Sometimes when we criticize someone it is usually because of our own insecurity.
36. You were eternal for a few weeks.
Time can stop when we do or are with someone we love.
37. The more I am with you, the more I want to be alone.
There are people who make us want to lose sight of them, because our personalities are totally opposite.
38. I didn't come home late, I came home too early.
When you arrive too late at night it can make us arrive too early in the morning.
39. To live in the clouds is not bad, worse is to have to come down.
When we are aware that the dreams we had can not be realized is a very hard blow for everyone.
40. Alcohol does not solve problems, but neither does water.
The use of alcohol to forget our problems has always been widespread and is not positive, much better is sport to keep our minds busy.
41. We have a great government, that is why it has cost so much money.
Politicians have always been great benefactors, especially for themselves.
42. Please don't interrupt while I ignore you.
A good hint to ask someone to leave us to our own devices.
43. You are like February 30 for me.
We all know that February 30 doesn't exist, not even in leap years.
44. Money doesn't bring happiness, but I'd rather cry in a Ferrari.
I've never seen anyone crying inside a 458 Italia.
45. I love you, but far away.
When we hate someone, the farther away they are from us, the better.
46. With a kiss you can pay me what you owe me.
A kiss from the loved one can pay all that he owes us.
47. When I like you, everything I say will be a hint.
A good way to tell someone we like without being too obvious.
48. Speaking of your smile, the other day I was talking about drugs.
The smile of the person we like can be addictive.
49. The nicest thing about my clothes is when they smell like you.
When we spend a lot of time with a person we can even differentiate their smell in the things that surround us.
50. I have my smile ready for when I see you.
A date with someone we love is always a reason to be happy.
51. You came across here and I forgot where I was going.
There are always people who for many reasons can make us nervous and even make us lose our memory.
52. On the one hand I like you, and on the other hand, I like you too.
There are people that we like everything about them and this is a beautiful way to tell them that.
53. My ideal job would be to get paid for sleeping.
For many people, working is an ordeal and their dream is to get paid for their own rest.
54. Thank God I am an atheist.
Being religious can make us think about problems that being an atheist would never think about.
55. I need to go to the eye doctor, but I can't find the time.
Finding the right time to do certain things is sometimes complicated, even if it is something we really need.
Don't steal; the government hates competition.
Our leaders are often the people who profit most dishonestly from public assets.
57. I'd like to be your best stranger.
There are people we wish we had never met.
58. I give you a one-way ticket so you don't come back.
A good way to tell someone that we don't want to see him or her anymore.
59. Understanding is a two-way street.
For understanding between two people it depends on both individuals and not only on one of them.
60. I won't go to your funeral, but that doesn't mean I don't approve of it.
There are people whom we hate so much that we may even wish for their death, although it is never justified.
61. Don't give up on your dreams and keep on sleeping.
Sleep is a good way to make our dreams come true, even if it is only for a moment.
62. Intelligence chases you, but I think you are faster.
A phrase dedicated to those people to whom intelligence escapes their possibilities.
63. To every disappointment comes its oblivion.
Disappointments, sooner or later, pass into the background and cease to be of importance.
64. A balanced diet is a cake in each hand.
Undoubtedly, a cake in each hand would balance our body balance, although as a diet it may not be very effective.
65. Fish that go against the current die electrocuted.
Sometimes, to go against society can produce many damages, and to follow the current is much easier for us.
66. Opportunities fly by, that's why we must always be jumping.
To be attentive of the opportunities that are presented to us is something very important in our lives.
67. The happiness train passes many times.
Our opportunities to be happy are presented to us almost daily, it depends on us to take advantage of them.
68. Life is what happens while WhatsApp is being updated.
Today's people do not know how to live without this magical application that communicates us with our loved ones.
69. If you are going to make mistakes, make them new ones.
To always make the same mistakes is a very common human error.
70. 69% of people find double meaning in everything.
What a coincidence that it is precisely 69%...
71. Have you finished crawling or do you need more soil?
A very sarcastic way of telling someone to stand up and regain their dignity.
72. You have Van Gogh's ear for music.
Van Gogh was a painter who cut off his ear during an outburst.
73. Never waste an opportunity to keep quiet.
It is better to be silent if we are not sure that what we are going to say really has to be said.
74. Love your enemies; it enrages them.
Love is that which can turn your enemies into friends.
75. I am not totally useless, I serve as a bad example.
There is always a need for that person we all know not to emulate.
76. Defend ecology, recycle your mother-in-law!
Our mother-in-law, that great figure who analyzes us and enumerates our many defects... A toast to her!
77. I need two six-month vacations a year.
We would all like to be able to live an eternal vacation, vacations are always the most awaited moment of the year.
78. Years don't matter, unless you are a wine.
Wine is one of the few things that always gets better with age.
79. The silence of my WhatsApp torments me.
The silence and indifference of the people we care about can be something that doesn't let us live.
80. I drink to forget you, and now I forget you twice.
Drinking can play a trick on us, and instead of forgetting it can make us always remember what we drink for.
81. He who laughs last laughs best, or thinks slower.
Some people find it hard to take a hint and are always the last to laugh.
82. If someday I go to jail for downloading music, please separate me from the other prisoners by musical genres.
Since they would lock us up for music, let them also differentiate us by music.
83. I hate being bipolar, it's a wonderful thing.
Being bipolar can make you hate and love something from one moment to the next.
84. Sometimes I want something that only you can give me.... Your absence.
Losing sight of someone we don't like is something we are always grateful for.
85. It's called love when you leave reason and follow your heart.
When you love someone you stop acting with your head and act with your heart, and that can lead to broken relationships.
86. Loving without being reciprocated is like waiting for a ship at the airport.
When we are not reciprocated we wait for that person who will never come into our life.
87. The only battles you can win by running away are the ones you fight with women. (Napoleon Bonaparte)
There are battles it is better not to fight with a woman.
88. What a perfect face, what beautiful eyes, mischievous smile and sensual body.... But let's stop talking about me, how are you?
For all of us, we ourselves are the most important thing and then, if necessary, the other.
89. In silence you sigh what you shout out loud.
Sometimes a silence is worth more than a thousand words, because with it we also want to say something.
90. I do not know what we are, but I do not want that we never cease to be.
It is a contradiction... if you don't know what you are, how can you not want to stop being it? (if you know what you are).
(Updated at Mar 28 / 2023)