Wyeth Pharmaceuticals Generic drugs
Wyeth is an American pharmaceutical corporation that since 2009 is a part of Pfizer, the global leader of the pharmaceutical industry.
Currently, the company has around 50 thousand employees, revenue of around 30 billion a year, and presence in all countries pharmaceutical markets through its parent company Pfizer.
History of Wyeth Company
The Company was founded in 1860 by Wyeth brothers. Then it was headquartered in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Initially, it was a drugstore with a small laboratory where the pharmacists made the most common medications by request from local doctors.
The first great success for the company was the contract with the U.S. Army concluded in 1864 for the supply of medications in bulk. In 1872, one of the company’s employees designed a machine able to mass product tablets what allowed substantially increasing the volumes of production and revenue respectively.
In 1893, the company expanded its operations both geographically and by the range of products initiating vaccines production facility in Canada.
The company continued to be managed by the family who established it till 1930 when the last heir died and the company was bequeathed to Harvard University. In the same year, the company bought the license to exclusively produce Anacin, an analgesic medication that promptly became the leading product of the drug maker. In 1931, Harvard sold its major shares portfolio to American Home Products. Under this parent company, the drug maker had been successfully expanded through the acquisition of thirty-four companies.
During the Second World War, the company actively supplied the most demanded medications to the U.S. Army and later even received an award for its endowment to the army in wartime.
Following the acquisition of a Canadian pharmaceutical company Ayerst, McKenna and Harrison in 1943, the company got a new product, Premarin based on conjugated estrogen and the first medication of its kind that became the bestselling brand of the Company for many years till 2002.
From the 1950s till 2009, the company concluded multiple acquisitions and introduced the new product on the market the most notable of which are:
- Antabuse (Disulfiram), a medicinal preparation used in the treatment of alcoholism that through the inhibition of acetaldehyde dehydrogenase enzyme in the liver that stops the process of decomposition of ethyl alcohol to carbon dioxide and water at the stage of acetaldehyde (acetic aldehyde), which is a tissue poison. As a result of the accumulation of acetaldehyde in the body of a person who consumes alcohol while receiving Disulfiram, acute intoxication arises, accompanied by unpleasant, painful sensations such as flushes, nausea, vomiting, general malaise, tachycardia, and lowered blood pressure.
- Phenargan (Promethazine), an antihistamine medication prescribed for various forms of allergy such as urticaria, hay fever, rhinitis, medication-induced allergy, and also in itching dermatosis, Ménière's disease, and other conditions affecting the nervous system that are associated with raised penetrability of the blood vessels, in sea and air sickness.
- Ansolyen, an antihypertensive medication, i.e. the drug used to lower high arterial pressure.
- Myosoline (Primidone), an antiepileptic medication from the class of barbiturates. It has a pronounced anticonvulsant effect without the sedative effect, unlike its predecessors.
- Isordil (Isosorbide dinitrate), a medication that expands the blood vessels and is used for the treatment of heart failure, spasm of the esophagus, and for the treatment and prevention of angina pectoris.
- Dryvax, a smallpox vaccine.
- Ovral, a combination oral contraceptive pill based on Norgestrel and Ethinylestradiol.
- Poliomyelitis vaccine.
- Advil, the first over-the-counter ibuprofen in the U.S.
Wyeth Pharmaceuticals as a part of Pfizer
The drug-making company was acquired by Pfizer, the largest medications manufacturer in the world by the turnover and sales in 2009. This allowed Wyeth to expand its distribution markets all over the world and receive the substantial inflow of investment in its current drug development projects. Besides, the research conducted by the company is now shared and supplemented by other organizations and independent researchers as the parent company Pfizer in 2017 became a member of the global therapeutic community Milner Therapeutics Consortium, whose goal is to exchange scientific data between pharmaceutical companies and research organizations.
Even being an individual company, Wyeth Pharmaceuticals invested in social programs for its employees and people from the developing countries. Now being a part of Pfizer, Wyeth participates in charitable programs that involve providing the unprivileged with free medications, financing of worldwide educational and scientific programs, construction of medical infrastructure facilities. In other words, the company takes real and substantial steps for the expansion of peoples’ access to qualitative healthcare and solves global healthcare problems faced by the society. Currently, the company’s main focus is the Enabling Global Access and Enabling Global Health programs aimed at the increase of the level of medications accessibility worldwide and improvement of the global healthcare level.
Besides making its own medications more accessible and donating them to the unprivileged, the company also closely cooperates with governmental agencies on the matter of control of counterfeit medications acknowledging that their spread carries a greater threat to millions of peoples’ health and lives. The company also implements innovational technologies and procedures to protect their products and make them easily distinguishable from the counterfeit ones. For instance, Pfizer, and its part Wyeth correspondingly, became the first pharmaceutical company to use radio frequency identification (RFID) technology in goods packaging.
Products by Wyeth Pharmaceuticals you can purchase at our online drugstore
As an ordinary diuretic, the medication is used relatively rarely since there are more effective drugs, but it is well suited for edema due to pulmonary heart failure when it is necessary to reduce the elevated levels of carbon dioxide and bicarbonates in the blood. Besides, the medication is used for swelling of mild to moderate severity in combination with alkalosis; cranial-cerebral hypertension; glaucoma; epilepsy (small epileptic seizures in children, rare absences); mountain sickness, Meniere's disease, premenstrual syndrome, and gout. You can find the medication in our Diuretic medications section.
- Ovral G (Norgestrel and Ethinyl Estradiol) is an oral birth control medication based on two different hormones which ensure its three-sided effect. The pregnancy prevention with the medication is due to the prevention of ovulation, thickening of the internal fluid in the vagina to help not letting the sperm getting to an egg, and changing of the lining of the uterus that inhibits the attachment of a fertilized egg. Besides being used as contraception, this hormonal medication can be appointed for menstrual cycle disorders, premenstrual syndrome, endometriosis, diminished the functional activity of the gonads, and other conditions at a doctor’s discretion. The medication can be bought from our Birth control medications section.
- Premarin (Conjugated Estrogens) is a hormonal preparation that ties to receptors of estrogen in the target cells and relieves or completely eliminates the symptoms that accompany climacteric syndrome such as high body temperature, increased sweating, vertigo, irritability, depression, and so on. It is also used as a prophylaxis of the onset of osteoporosis, as a medication to normalize the menstrual cycle in women of fertile age, and as a means to lower testosterone levels in men with hormone-dependent cancer. The pills can be prescribed for the climacteric syndrome for women in menopause, low estrogen in menopause and postmenopause, osteoporosis associated with menopause, abnormal uterine bleeding, and menstrual cycle disorders. You can find this medication in our Women’s health section.
Although RXShopMD sells all medications without checking your prescription or health history we encourage you to never make a self-diagnosis and consult a qualified doctor before you decide on purchasing and using any medication from our or another drugstore.
Top medications by Wyeth Pharmaceuticals:
Find the latest special offer from pharmaceutical companies:
- Abbott - A promise for life
- Ajanta Pharma Limited
- Aprazer Health Care
- Aristo Pharmaceuticals
- AstraZeneca Pharmaceuticals
- Aurobindo Pharma Ltd
- Aurochem Pharmaceuticals
- Aventis Pharma
- Bayer Pharmaceuticals
- Biochem Pharmaceuticals
- Biocon - Indias innovation led, global biopharmaceuticals company
- Blue Cross Pharma Industry
- Centurion Laboratories
- Chandra Bhagat Pharma Pvt.Ltd
- Cipla - Caring for life
- Combitic Global Caplet Pvt
- Consern Pharma PVT LTD
- Dharam Pharma Distributors
- Dr Reddy’s Pharmaceuticals
- Emcure Pharmaceuticals
- ESSA Pharma Inc.
- FDC Pharmaceuticals
- Fourrts Laboratories
- Geno Pharma
- German Remedies
- Glenmark Pharmaceuticals
- GSK Pharma India
- HAB Pharmaceuticals
- Healing pharma
- HELIOS pharmaceuticals
- Intas Pharmaceuticals Ltd.
- IPCA - A dose of life
- J.B. Chemicals Pharmaceuticals
- John Lee Pharmaceuticals
- Johnson and Johnson
- Khandelwal Pharma
- Lupin Pharmaceuticals Inc.
- MAC Labs
- Macleods Pharmaceuticals - Challenging Frontiers in Healthcare
- Mankind Pharmaceuticals - Serving Life
- Morepen Pharmaceuticals
- MSD Pharmaceuticals - Be well
- Natco Pharmaceuticals
- Novo Nordisk Pharma
- Pfizer Pharmaceuticals
- R.P.G. pharmaceuticals
- Ranbaxy Pharmaceuticals
- Rayh Health Care
- Sandoz a Novartis company
- Sanofi Aventis Pharmaceuticals
- Serum Pharmaceuticals
- Solvay Pharmaceuticals
- Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd.
- Sunrise Remedies
- Systopic Pharmaceuticals - Excellence through People and Innovation
- Torrent Pharmaceuticals
- UCB Pharma
- Unichem Laboratories Limited
- Unique Pharmaceuticals
- USV Pharmaceuticals
- Walter Bushnell Pharmaceuticals
- Wockhardt Pharmaceuticals
- Zydus Pharmaceuticals