Bayer Pharmaceuticals Generic drugs
The drug-manufacturing company Bayer Pharmaceuticals was established in 1863 in Germany by two chemists. Currently, the Concern represents over 350 companies internationally. The total number of employees is 106.2 thousand people.
The yearly turnover of the concern is 33 billions of Euro (around forty billion of U.S. Dollars). This turnover is made up not only from the drug products but also other healthcare products, animal health products, studies, and initiatives.
History of Bayer Concern
The first significant product that was first marketed by the company is acetylsalicylic acid or Aspirin. In 1899, the name Aspirin was patented as a trademark by the company but due to the seizure of German assets and registered brands by the U.S. after the First World War, it became a generic name in the U.S., France, and Great Britain, i.e. the name of the active substance that can be used by any company in those countries. But in around eighty states, including Canada, Germany, and many others, Aspirin to date is a registered trade name, i.e. it is used as a brand name.
At the beginning of the twentieth century, Bayer Pharmaceuticals created and registered its famous cross logo. It was the first ever company to imprint its logo and the name of the company on the pills as the aspirin produced by the company was sold only in the pharmacy’s or doctor’s package without the indication of the producer name on it.
Some of the significant substances developed by Bayer:
- Aspirin was developed as an analgesic, anti-fever medication, and an anticoagulant in 1899. It is used widely to this day.
- Heroin (diacetylmorphine) is a derivative or morphine which was developed as a replacement for morphine in the stopping of coughing before the World War I. The medication was created to cope with morphine addiction but became one of the most known and dangerous narcotics.
- Prontosil created in 1932 became the first medication from the class of sulfonamides, i.e. antibacterial medications. This discovery is considered a beginning of a new era in medicine.
- Ciprofloxacin is an antibiotic created in 1979 and used to date to treat anthrax and other infectious diseases caused by susceptible pathogens.
- Levitra created in 2005 is an anti-erectile dysfunction medication, an alternative to Viagra which can be used by men who are intolerable of Sildenafil citrate (the active pharmaceutical ingredient).
Besides the drugs and preparations, the concern's branches must be credited for the engineering of other substances and products such as polyurethane, polycarbonate which is the basis of plastic products, for example, CDs, and many other products that are widely used internationally both in industrial facilities and households. Bayer also owns the word leading crop science corporation that engages in the development of new more resistant varieties of crops, seeds, plants, and so on as well as insecticides safe for human.
Bayer HealthCare is a subsidiary group of companies that is engaged in pharmaceuticals and the manufacturing of medical products. This subsidiary is also divided into the subdivisions such as Bayer Pharma, Medical Care, and others. These subsidiaries are involved in the research, development, manufacturing, and distribution of products to improve the health of people and animals. Though the structure and cooperation between the subsidiaries is well established, the concern has never stopped to expand and strengthen its presence in all markets. For instance, in 2008, it bought a portfolio of non-prescription preparations and core assets of the U.S. company called Sagmel with the plans to make it an integral part of Bayer HealthCare in Russia, Ukraine, other CIS countries and the Baltic countries, some countries of the Caucasus, and Central Asia.
To understand the significance of such acquisition, here are some of the preparations that are included in the mentioned portfolio: Theraflex, the medication used for the treatment of osteoarthritis and other diseases of bones and joints, Nazol nasal spray, Relief, the hemorrhoid medication, Calcemin, Theravit, and Jungle vitamins.
In 2008, the company’s healthcare division purchased a German biotechnological company DIREVO Biotech AG that specializes in the field of protein engineering to strengthen its research base in the field of biotechnological preparations development.
Bayer Pharma, the major subdivision of Bayer Healthcare, consists of two subdivisions – general and special health care.
Women’s healthcare, one of the fields of general healthcare in which Bayer Pharma is engaged, produces oral contraceptive pills Yaz and Yasmin both created on the basis on the newly discovered kind of progesterone hormone form, Drospirenone. This hormone if used together with a certain type of estrogens. The medication is also used for the treatment of the dysphoric disorder of the late luteal phase and, to some extent, acne. Other major brands of the company are the anti-cancer drug Nexavar, a blood coagulant, Kogenate, and others.
The example of the activity of the special healthcare subdivision is the development of technologies for the obtaining of diagnostic imaging. Contrasting agents developed by this department help early and accurate detection of the disease and the choice of optimal treatment. Methods of obtaining diagnostic images, such as computed tomography, nuclear magnetic resonance imaging and ultrasound, are used for contrast imaging of organs and tissues in their natural positions inside the body.
The work of the department is also focused on the engineering of labeling substances for positron emission tomography (PET). One of these labeling substances, Florbetaben, produced by Bayer, allows identifying beta-amyloid, one of the hallmarks of Alzheimer's disease, with great accuracy in a still living patient.
Bayer Diabetes Care
This branch manages the sales of medical equipment. The company's main goods include Blood glucose meters for measuring blood sugar Contour and Elite used for diabetes.
This division of the concern manages the distribution of the goods on the open market to end users. Among the key products of this department are food additives Redoxon and Berocca, and skin care products Bepenthen and Bepanthol.
This department is focused on the production of anti-parasite agents for dogs, cats, horses, and other animals. This is a division of Bayer HealthCare, one of the most influential international healthcare companies.
Bayer as a workplace
In 2008, the Canadian branch of Bayer was recognized one of Canada's "Top 100 Employers", as reported in the McLean news magazine. A month later, the Canadian unit was recognized as one of Toronto's best employers, as reported by the Toronto Star newspaper. Bayer USA awarded 85 points out of 100 in the calculation of the corporate equality index, as part of the campaign to monitor human rights in 2011.
Bayer Pharmaceuticals products that you can buy from our online drugstore
- Precose (Acarbose) is a hypoglycemic drug (lowers the blood sugar) which effect is based on the inhibition of alpha glucose. It suppresses the digestion and absorption of carbohydrates in the small intestine and as a result, lowers the concentration of glucose in the blood after the intake of carbohydrates containing food. The medication is prescribed for people with type 2 diabetes when the change in the diet and other hypoglycemic products do not render sufficient effect. You can buy the pills from our drugstore from the section diabetes medications.
- Yasmin (Drospirenone and Ethinyl Estradiol) is a modern hormonal medication primarily used for birth control in women but also prescribed for normalization of the menstrual cycle, oligomenorrhea, dysmenorrhea, premenstrual syndrome, hypomenorrhea, menopausal hormone therapy, the dysphoric disorder of the late luteal phase, and acne. The medication is commonly referred to as “fourth-generation” birth control pill because of its new structure. You can buy the pills from our Birth control medications section.
Top medications by Bayer Pharmaceuticals:
Find the latest special offer from pharmaceutical companies:
- Abbott - A promise for life
- Ajanta Pharma Limited
- Aprazer Health Care
- Aristo Pharmaceuticals
- AstraZeneca Pharmaceuticals
- Aurobindo Pharma Ltd
- Aurochem Pharmaceuticals
- Aventis Pharma
- Biochem Pharmaceuticals
- Biocon - Indias innovation led, global biopharmaceuticals company
- Blue Cross Pharma Industry
- Centurion Laboratories
- Chandra Bhagat Pharma Pvt.Ltd
- Cipla - Caring for life
- Combitic Global Caplet Pvt
- Consern Pharma PVT LTD
- Dharam Pharma Distributors
- Dr Reddy’s Pharmaceuticals
- Emcure Pharmaceuticals
- ESSA Pharma Inc.
- FDC Pharmaceuticals
- Fourrts Laboratories
- Geno Pharma
- German Remedies
- Glenmark Pharmaceuticals
- GSK Pharma India
- HAB Pharmaceuticals
- Healing pharma
- HELIOS pharmaceuticals
- Intas Pharmaceuticals Ltd.
- IPCA - A dose of life
- J.B. Chemicals Pharmaceuticals
- John Lee Pharmaceuticals
- Johnson and Johnson
- Khandelwal Pharma
- Lupin Pharmaceuticals Inc.
- MAC Labs
- Macleods Pharmaceuticals - Challenging Frontiers in Healthcare
- Mankind Pharmaceuticals - Serving Life
- Morepen Pharmaceuticals
- MSD Pharmaceuticals - Be well
- Natco Pharmaceuticals
- Novo Nordisk Pharma
- Pfizer Pharmaceuticals
- R.P.G. pharmaceuticals
- Ranbaxy Pharmaceuticals
- Rayh Health Care
- Sandoz a Novartis company
- Sanofi Aventis Pharmaceuticals
- Serum Pharmaceuticals
- Solvay Pharmaceuticals
- Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd.
- Sunrise Remedies
- Systopic Pharmaceuticals - Excellence through People and Innovation
- Torrent Pharmaceuticals
- UCB Pharma
- Unichem Laboratories Limited
- Unique Pharmaceuticals
- USV Pharmaceuticals
- Walter Bushnell Pharmaceuticals
- Wockhardt Pharmaceuticals
- Wyeth Pharmaceuticals
- Zydus Pharmaceuticals