Cholesterol symptoms, treatment, Infomation.
Cholesterol provides the steadiness of cells in a broad spectrum of temperatures. Cholesterol is crucial for the making of vitamin D, the release of various hormones (e.g. cortisol, aldosterone, sex hormones, and others), and bile acids.
However, there are different kinds of cholesterol and if certain types are prevalent in the body, it can lead to the onset of various serious and even life-threatening cardio conditions and occurrence of gallstones.
The multiple studies conducted on the matter had detected the correlation among the volume of various groups of lipoproteins and the health condition of an individual. The high volumes of lipoproteins of low density are proven to be one of the major factors for atherosclerosis development. For this reason, they are commonly referred to as “bad” lipoproteins or “bad” cholesterol. These lipoproteins are poorly dissolved and inclinable to deposition of cholesterol crystalline solids and to the development of atherosclerotic plaques in the arteries and vessels, this way raising the danger of heart attack or ischemic stroke, as well as other heart and vascular complications.
On the other side, the high amount of high-density lipoproteins in the blood plasma is typical for a healthy organism. Thus, this type of lipoproteins is often called "good" or “healthy” cholesterol. High-density lipoproteins are soluble in various liquids and do not cause the accumulation of cholesterol. They guard the vessels from the changes that lead to atherosclerosis.
The level of cholesterol in the blood is measured either in mmol/l (millimole per liter) or in mg/dl (milligram per deciliter, 1 mmol/l is 38.665 mg/dl). The ideal level of "bad" low-molecular lipoproteins is below 2,586 mmol/l and for individuals with a high risk of cardiovascular disease - below 1.81 mmol/l. This level, however, is rarely achieved in adults. If the level of low-molecular lipoproteins is higher than 4.138 mmol/l, it is recommended to use a diet to reduce it below 3.362 mmol/l. If this level is above 4.914 mmol/l or persists above 4.138 mg/dl even with a special diet, it is recommended to consider the possibility of drug therapy. For people with a high risk of cardiovascular disease, these figures may be reduced. The higher is the proportion of "good" lipoproteins in the total cholesterol-binding lipoprotein level the better. A good indicator is if it is much higher than 1/5 of the total level of cholesterol-binding lipoproteins.
Factors that can contribute to the increase of low-density lipoproteins (“harmful” cholesterol)
The ratio of good/bad cholesterol is generally worsened with age but there are factors that can contribute to the fast deterioration of it they are:
- Cigarettes smoking;
- Overweight or obesity, overeating;
- Inactivity or lack of physical activity;
- Inadequate nutrition with a high content of trans fats (contained in partially hydrogenated fats), high carbohydrate content (especially easily digestible, like sweets and confectionery), insufficient fiber and pectins, lipotropic factors, polyunsaturated fatty acids, microelements, and vitamins;
- Stagnation of bile in the liver in various violations of this organ function (also leads to cholelithiasis cholecystitis). Occurs with alcohol abuse, some viral diseases, and intake of certain medications;
- Endocrine disorders such as diabetes mellitus, overproduction of insulin, overproduction of hormones of the adrenal cortex, insufficiency of thyroid hormones, and sex hormones.
The elevated level of “bad” cholesterol can be also observed as the result of some liver or kidney diseases that contribute to the violation of biosynthesis of “good” lipoproteins in these organs. It can also be hereditary due to some forms of so-called "family dyslipoproteinemia". In these cases, patients need special medication therapy. At our online pharmacy, you can buy cholesterol-lowering drugs for different causes of this disorder but please first consult a specialist to know precisely which medication is suitable for you.
How can you lower the level of “bad” cholesterol without drugs?
If you are in a risk group, for instance, you are leading a sedentary lifestyle and are over 40 or have excessive weight, suffer from diabetes, are a smoker, and so on, you should, first of all, check the level of cholesterol and then take steps to keep it at safe levels even if it’s not significantly elevated. The prophylaxis methods are doing physical exercises regularly (at least three times a week), quitting smoking and drinking alcohol or at least minimizing the intake of alcohol to a couple of glasses of wine on the weekend, starting eating healthy excluding all sugars and fast-food meals from your ration, doing tests to find out what vitamins you are lacking and starting taking them.
Besides, an important factor affecting the level of cholesterol is the intestinal microflora. The resident and transient microflora of the human intestine, synthesizing, transforming or destroying exogenous and endogenous sterols, actively participates in cholesterol metabolism, which allows it to be considered as the most important metabolic and regulatory organ involved in cooperating with host cells in maintaining cholesterol homeostasis. To keep the intestinal flora healthy, it is recommended to add to your diet natural yogurt and other sour dairy products that have good bacteria in them.
If after following all of these rules for several months you still cannot achieve the sufficient lowering of bad cholesterol, you can buy drugs to lower cholesterol from our med store. We sell qualitative generic medications identical to the branded ones but priced greatly cheaper.
Diagnosis methods of high cholesterol and cardiovascular diseases
The high level of cholesterol is usually checked when your doctor suspects that you suffer from it based on your symptoms and the physical examination plus survey. If you have excessive body weight, are a smoker, have diabetes, and so on, you are in a risk group and it’s only natural for your doctor to appoint you blood tests for identification of cholesterol level.
If you don’t find yourself in a risk group but are still concerned about whether you have a cardiovascular disease, check if you have these symptoms:
- Change in the arterial pressure;
- Increase or loss of pulse, palpitations;
- Dyspnea (shortness of breath);
- Pain in the heart, in the chest;
- Frequent headaches, dizziness;
- Chronic fatigue;
- Blurred vision;
- Sleep disturbance;
- Noise in the ears;
- Coldness of the limbs.
These are not all symptoms yet if you have at least some of them, it is reasonable to check your cardiovascular system condition and the level of cholesterol.
The methods of diagnosis of cardiovascular diseases are the following: electrocardiogram, daily monitoring of blood pressure, treadmill test, echocardiogram (ultrasound of the heart), ultrasound of the kidneys and adrenal glands, investigation of the fundus of the eye, chest X-ray, and others.
High cholesterol and atherosclerosis
The relationship between high cholesterol and atherosclerosis is ambiguous: on the one hand, an increase in the cholesterol content in the blood plasma is considered an indisputable risk factor for atherosclerosis; on the other hand, atherosclerosis often develops in people with normal cholesterol levels. In fact, elevated level of cholesterol is only one of many risk factors for atherosclerosis besides obesity, smoking, diabetes, hypertension, and others. The presence of these factors in people with normal cholesterol makes possible the harmful action of free cholesterol on the walls of the vessels and thus leads to the formation of atherosclerosis with lower cholesterol concentrations in the blood.
There is also a different view of the problem of cholesterol. Cholesterol as a "repair" material accumulates in places of microdamage of blood vessels and blocks these damages, performing a homogeneous medicinal role. That is why atherosclerosis is observed in people with normal cholesterol levels. In people with an elevated level of the cholesterol, the problem starts to manifest faster, plus, the presence of an elevated cholesterol level is easier to statistically associate with atherosclerosis, which was done at the beginning of the cholesterol effects research, because of which cholesterol was declared the culprit of all ills. Therefore, simply lowering cholesterol alone does not solve all the problems with blood vessels. The low level of cholesterol, in this case, can cause hemorrhages. It is necessary to further study the causes of vascular damage and the development of methods for their treatment.
Cholesterol-lowering drugs you can buy at our online pharmacy
- Generic Lipitor rr Atorvastatin is identical to the branded medicine Lipitor but is made by Ranbaxy. The medication is prescribed for the lowering of high “harmful” cholesterol in hypercholesterolemia, dyslipidemia, and prophylaxis of cardiovascular conditions development such as myocardial infarction or angina pectoris, stroke and the need of revascularization procedures. The medication is included in the group of statins (HMG-CoA reductase inhibitors) that inhibit the synthesis of cholesterol in the liver.
- Generic Crestor or Rosuvastatin made by Ranbaxy is prescribed along low-fat diet for hyperlipidemia, abnormally elevated levels of lipids and/or lipoproteins, and prevention of cardiovascular diseases caused by high cholesterol. This medication is also included in the class of statins and renders its cholesterol-lowering effect through the inhibition of cholesterol formation in the liver.
- Generic Lopid or Gemfibrozil made by Pfizer is a medication that lowers the level of cholesterol and is included in the class of fibrates, i.e. medications that render its effect through the induction of the transcription of a number of genes that facilitate lipid metabolism. The medication is appointed for Hyperlipidemia (Type III) and Hypertriglyceridemia (Type IV).
- Generic Mevacor or Lovastatin sold at our online pharmacy is made by Sun Pharma. The preparation is used for the lowering of cholesterol in dyslipidemia, high cholesterol, prevention of cardiovascular diseases, hypercholesterolemia, combined hypercholesterolemia and hypertriglyceridemia, lipid profile correction, hyperlipoproteinemia, and atherosclerosis. It is a medication from a group of HMG-CoA reductase inhibitors that suppress the synthesis of cholesterol in the liver.
- Generic Pravachol based on Pravastatin is used for the management of level of lipids in hyperlipidemia, reduction of the risk of myocardial infarction, atherosclerosis, ischemic heart disease, type II hyperlipidemia, familial hypercholesterolemia, after a heart transplant to lower the risk of coronary angiopathy development. The preparation is a statin that inhibits the production of “bad” cholesterol in the liver.
- Generic Tricor or Fenofibrate is used for hypertriglyceridemia, high cholesterol, mixed hyperlipidemia, diabetic retinopathy. We sell the medication identical to the branded medicine Tricor made by USV and Ranbaxy. The medication is included in the class of fibrates.
- Generic Zetia based on Ezetimibe at our online pharmacy is represented by the Lupin Pharmaceuticals Inc. The medication is a representative of a new class of lipid-lowering drugs that selectively inhibit the uptake of cholesterol and certain plant sterols in the bowel. It is usually appointed along with statins to address the diminishing of cholesterol transportation and production. The indications for the preparation use are high content of lipids in the blood, high level of low-density cholesterol, atherosclerosis, and avoidance of heart diseases development.
- Generic Zocor based on Simvastatin and also known as Simcard, Rendapid, Simovil, Sinvacor, Vasotenal, Vytorin, Zocord, and so on, is hypercholesterolemia, mixed dyslipidemia, homozygous hereditary hypercholesterolemia, prophylaxis of cardiovascular complications in people with ischemic heart disease and diabetes mellitus. It is a statin medication that slows down the formation of “unhealthy” cholesterol in the liver.
Please consult your doctor first before you buy cholesterol-lowering drug and start taking it even if you can purchase it without a prescription from our online drugstore.